Below are specific instructions for Health Kits and School Kits. They are easy to assemble and the supplies are inexpensive. You can make as few or as many as can.
All donations are welcome. To make a monetary donation, click here (NC Advance #S-00176).
HEALTH KIT (Value: $12.00)
- 1 hand towel 15″ x 25″ to 17″x 27″ (kitchen, cleaning and microfiber towels not acceptable)
- 1 washcloth
- 1 comb sturdy and longer than 6″-rattail combs and combs without handles are acceptable with a minimum of 6″ of teeth (no pocket combs or picks, please)
- 1 metal nail file or clipper (no emery boards, please)
- 1 bath-size soap 3 oz. and larger sizes only (no Ivory or Jergens soap due to moisture content; do not remove from original packaging)
- 1 toothbrush adult size only (do not remove from original packaging)
- 6 adhesive bandages 3/4″ to 1″ size common household Band-Aids
- 1 plastic bag one-gallon size sealable bags only
- Lay out the hand towel flat on a table.
- Lay the washcloth flat in the center of the hand towel.
- Place all remaining items on top of the washcloth.
- Fold over the sides of the hand towel to cover all of the items.
- Fold over one end of the hand towel so that it covers all of the items.
- Grasp the bundle of items tightly and roll over the remainder of the hand towel tightly.
- Place the tightly rolled bundle in the plastic bag.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal the bag.
- All items must be new.
- Do not wash any of the items as they will be considered used.
- Please remove all packaging unless otherwise specified.
- DO NOT include any personal notes, money or additional material in the kits. These things must be painstakingly removed and will delay the shipment.
- UMCOR has requested a $1 donation to go towards the purchase of toothpaste (which they buy in bulk). Donation baskets will be in First Cup Sunday morning.
SCHOOL KIT Value: $11.00
- 1 pair blunt scissors rounded tip only (no plastic scissors, please)
- 3 pads of paper spiral- or top-bound pads (150 sheets or less of loose leaf can be substituted for one pad), combination of spiral, top bound, side bound or loose leaf is acceptable (no composition books, please)
- 1 hand-held pencil sharpener must be at least one-inch long, remove from packaging
- 1 30-centimeter ruler hard or flexible, cartoon characters are acceptable, (no advertisements, please)
- 6 unsharpened pencils cartoon characters are acceptable (no advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols, please)
- 1 2″ or larger size eraser cartoon characters are acceptable (no advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols, please)
- 1 24-count box of crayons only 24-count boxes please
- 1 14″x16″ cloth bag heavy-duty fabric only: denim, corduroy, drapery fabric, etc. purchased or homemade bags are acceptable.
- Closures are optional (not necessary) but must be buttons, snaps or Velcro sewn in middle of opening (no advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols, please)
- Place all loose items on top of paper.
- Turn items sideways and slide into the cloth bag.
- Fold over the top of the bag so loose items don’t fall out.
- If you are making your own cloth bag, please click here to see pictures and instructions.
- All items must be new.
- DO NOT include any personal notes, money or additional material in the kits. These things must be painstakingly removed and will delay the shipment. All emergency kits are carefully planned to make them usable in the greatest number of situations. Since strict rules often govern product entry into international countries, it is important that kits contain only the requested items – nothing more.